Made an attempt at adjusting my steering today. I had the tie rod off because it was bent, so I did this with the driver's side wheel still connected and the front end on jack stands.
First I checked for freeplay in the worm gear and found none. I figured I'd back the adjustment screw out until I got a little play and then go back in the other direction until snug. But no matter how much I backed the adjustment screw out, I never got any freeplay. I assume this should be up and down play along the length of the steering shaft. I just put the screw back where it was originally, tightened the locknut and went to the sector gear.
There was a lot of freeplay here. When I grabbed the pittman arm and moved it, it would go back and forth. I removed all the play, tightened the lock nut, installed the repaired tie rod and put the front end back on the ground.
Result: Steering is way better than it was but I've still got loads of freeplay in the steering wheel. I'm sure not having a tie rod that's bent at a 30-degree angle helps, but the steering is still lousy. Should I do the adjustment with the wheels on the ground? I'll get under it tomorrow and have a friend move the steering wheel gently back and forth to see if something else is loose under there.
One thing I noticed is that I can grab the tie rod with my hand and roll it back and forth, like toward the front of the truck and toward the back. I'd guess it moves about 3/8 of an inch in either direction. The sockets in the tie rod ends are kind of ovalled, but I'm not sure if they were manufactured that way or if it's wear.

Last edited by joeflanagan; 03/23/2012 2:04 AM.

1956 Chevy 3200