OK, much better this time. I now have tight steering that stays in a straight line when I take my hands off the wheel. This afternoon I started from scratch. I discovered that I did not tighten the lash anywhere near enough. I was checking for freeplay at the Pittman arm and not at the steering wheel. This time I used the fish scale to measure the pull at the wheel until I got the required 2 lbs. The other mistake I made yesterday was that I thought that after the sector gear adjustment, the pull was supposed to be 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. It pays to read the directions twice. There's a big difference between 1 and 2 with this steering gear.
I did not yet do the toe-in adjustment and I notice that once I get the truck up to about 25 or 30, there is some wandering. So tomorrow I'll set the toe-in and see what that does.
I definitely feel the tighter drag is I bring the wheel across center. It comes back on turns and stays straight in the road. Thanks to everyone for their advice and help.