"There are a lot of people who can give you excellent information on carbuetion, the trick is to do some homework first so you can tell if the person is watering down your boots at the same time he is talking to you.
Bob"

Really good advice! Doing the homework, however, can also be difficult, as there is a lot of "less than desirable" information both posted on the internet, and in more than one book.

Bob - I think you would appreciate a true story from many years ago, when I was attending a local car club meeting and we had some visitors. One local youngster's daddy had just bought him a 396 Chevelle. We asked him about the engine, and I will never forget his answer - "yeah, its the big engine... got 3 4-barrels and fuel injection!!!" When the club had finished laughing, and the kid had finished blushing, we explained to him he didn't have to impress us, he really did have a nice car. He turned out to be a really decent kid after that.

The Roe book is very good. If one has sufficient math background, another REALLY good book is "Weber Carburetter Theory" by John Passini. You really need a background in calculus and differential equations for this last one. A new book on the market which is REALLY keyed to the lay person is "Modifying Rochester Q-Jets" by Cliff Ruggles. Explanation in this book is outstanding.

But understanding circumstances is also important. I had a factory equiped 121 CID 4 cylinder with two 500 CFM carburetors, and it ran STRONG.

Longbox - the subject of CFM gets rather tricky. I think the Rochester B is covered in the Roe book. I know Carter did not publish CFM figures on the myriad of YF carbs, and I don't recall seeing information on the Holley 1904's. Zenith published CFM charts on 1 and 2 barrel carburetors as early as the mid 1930's (possibly earlier); but CFM changes due to the desires of the publisher grin

The Zenith charts may be used with a reasonable degree of accuracy for any of the 1 barrel or 2 barrel carburetors. The main issue would be main venturi size, with a secondary issue being throttle bore.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop