I'm going to post a question that is almost certainly going to expose me as a complete moron. Over the weekend I replaced my clutch and pressure plate with a set that I had rebuilt from Jim Carter's. They certainly look great and I installed them this past Sunday. I installed them as outlined in the original 42-46 Shop manual. As I tightened each bolt (1 turn at a time) as outlined in the book, the pressure plate diaphram springs slowly were brought in towards the fly wheel until each of the bolts were tight.

All seems to be fine (I think). I then replaced the throwout fork and bearing and connected the linkage. Push the petal and ..... nothing. Without pushing too hard because it seems that something will break before giving.....

This is where I am stuck..... what did I do wrong or what did I miss in that I can not seem to get the clutch to release?

As usual, any help, guidance or counceling is greatly appreciated....... :confused:


Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery