'46 manual says that when the P/P is fully bolted to the flywheel the spring fingers should be flat. They won't angle in or out...just flat.
I think there is a long throwout bearing and a short throwout bearing.... Are you installing the throwout bearing properly. The fork goes into the slot and the bearing face lays on the outside of the fingers. It doesn't go inside the fingers.
Is the clutch release fork snapped on the pivot ball inside the bellhousing?
Stuart
I have a read and re-read the manual and I am stumped. I am
pretty sure they were flat. i will keep this in mind when I put it back together. Crazy thing is I know this should be really easy. I'll be sure to take a bunch of photos of this one for others when I am done.
Very frustrating today because I busted the retaining clip in the clutch release fork today so everything is at a halt again until I can get another one (I ordered a couple spares). I loosened up the pressure plate a bit and then re-hooked up the linkage to see if I could get those pesky fingers to go in. Sure enough they did, so I believe my pedal linkage must be correct. Unfortunately that is when the throwout bearing got caught and I busted the little clip that holds it on the ball.
The throwout bearing is the same size as my original one so I have ruled that one out. I have noticed that the center of the clutch is not exactally the same as original but, I would not think it would result in what I am seeing. Basically the center portion with the spline on it was a bit longer and went further into the center of the flywheel.
I'll take photos as I go an start posting them on my website if this continues to be a problem.
Oddly enough, I moved on to setting the distributor and realized that the dist. cap I have is not tall enough. Are there two different sized caps for 216's? or do I have the wrong distributor? Argh....