As I get closer to getting my panel on the road I am beginning to think about other things that need to be done, such as my heater. The heater that came with it is a recirculating heater. I don’t know when it was installed, but it looks like the standard dealer option but with a GMC emblem instead to of a bowtie. I was mentioning this to the previous owner the other day and he told me that the heater never really worked well, to the point that he rode with a blanket over the seat back for winter use.
This could be for several reasons. Most of the weather strips and seals were shot allowing cold air to get in. There was no floor mat or insulation on the floor and firewall of the cab and the headliner and door panels were basically in shreds. Perhaps restricted flow to the heater core. Or perhaps the heater simply was not up to the task. I’ve torn the heater apart and see that the fan is not the typical squirrel cage variety I usually see in automotive applications, but 2 bladed fan, which perhaps simply didn’t move enough air.
I have added an insulated firewall cover, new floor mat with insulation, a new headliner and new door panels with seals for the handles and have replaced all seals and weather strips. The cargo area will be finished in a manner yet to be determined. So before I spend a lot of time or money on the exhisting heater, I thought I would post this to get feedback from other panel and burb owner. I am located in Maryland where the winters don’t tend to be extremely harsh, so I don’t expect sub zero weather, but from past experience with a van, I know that it takes quite a bit of heat to make the big box comfortable.
So what I would like to find out from others with this type heater is how well do your heaters do the job? What suggestions would you make for someone essentially starting from scratch?

Last edited by The Ned; 12/18/2010 2:55 AM.

1951 Chevy 1-Ton Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Pictures of the restoration on Photobucket
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
RIP good friend.