After doing some research, I have to disagree with TL The tanks are 13 gallons for the 1/2 ton and 18 gallons for the one ton and reading my old posts, I did see all three tanks side by side and the 47/48 pickup tank and the suburban/panel tank were very close to being the same and the one ton tank and the grain truck tank were also similar in size and shape.
I wish I looked closer at my frame and gas tank on the suburban today when I was at the shop, but I don't think the 18 gallon tank will fit in the space. I am going back up on wednesday and will look again.
If it does, I will get one of the tanks from Tyler, I had him save the tanks when were scrapping out the yard. At least 15 tanks were sitting near the fence, all in good shape, I could only save three of them, no more room.
Tim had posted
THIS ONE from a 1954 1 ton Panel. Chevrolet called it an 18 gallon tank.