Originally Posted by red58
Woody - when you wipe on with a rag and wipe off the 'excess' right away you're not giving it enough time for the chemical reaction to occur, that's why they say 'keep wet for 10-20 minutes', rinsing it with water shouldn't leave a coating of rust if it's had time to change the iron oxide to iron phosphate, which doesn't rust. Bill

Thanks Bill, it sounds like you know what you're talking about and giving solid advice.

I quit using the acid quite some time ago in favor of Eastwood's Rust Converter and Encapsulator. Now that they've come out with the Converter in a spray can, it's my weapon of choice where rust is bad, otherwise I paint all my stripped panels right after stripping with the Encapsulator.

BTW, I just dropped by to check progress on "da bus"... all I can do is smile and shake my head in awe. The progress is amazing and no one will cheer louder than I when it's back on the road.

Last edited by Czechman; 06/23/2009 1:06 AM.

Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection