Let's revisit the air disc brake idea.
I last researched this about a year and a half ago, at that time I thought Haldex would offer the best air caliper. From a phone conversation with Dan Norman at Haldex in the US he said they had some in use in 22.5" wheels over here, but not a lot yet. And that he expected to see some retrofit kits available in 2009/2010 for semi trucks. He also said they had a 19.5" caliper but it had not made it's way across the pond from Sweden yet, and I should look for it about the same time.
That time is about now, so I've done some more looking.
Haldex model DB19:
http://www.haldex.com/en/North-Amer...ems/Product-Information/Air-Disc-Brake1/and
http://www.haldex.com/Documents/hbsna/Disc_Brake/L20440_ModulX_Air_Disc_Brakes_Brochure_2-09.pdfWabco (and ArvinMeritor?) model PAN 19-1 plus (they even offer one for a 17.5" wheel package):
http://www.wabco-auto.com/products_and_systems/products-systems-air-disc-brake-pan-19-1-plusand
http://www.wabco.info/intl/pdf/820/00/32/8200100323.pdfBendix-Dana-Spicer-Eaton-Roadranger (But only for 22.5" wheels):
http://www.roadranger.com/Roadranger/productssolutions/brakes/airdiscbrakes/index.htmI think the Haldex DB19 will be the one to try first.
the idea is I can use my original rotors that just fit in the old 19.5" wheels, so the 19.5" caliper size should fit nicely over the rotor. I'll have to make my own caliper brackets.
We're headed to the
Mid-America Trucking Show this weekend, so I'll learn what I can from the different manufacturers about these newly available air disc brake calipers to fit in 19.5" wheels. But I don't see Haldex among the thousand or so exhibitors listed, hope I'll find them there anyhow..
If it looks like this is a good idea the next step will be finding a set of calipers without loosing an arm and a leg.
Any ideas?
Grigg