Not sure what I will haul, but don't want to limit myself unnecessarily.
Both brake systems are comparable as far as stopping power, and the same rotors would be used. I already have plenty of air on the truck for my air starter, so an air brake system would be no more complicated than the hydraulc disc.
The air disc brakes would be great for the ford I have with the Detroit, and I am pretty sure the axles I have under it can be speced with air disc, for sure the front.
For now I think I will keep my hydraulic brakes. But I am interested in the air disc brakes, and I think they could be easier to work on and more dependable. For my truck, within reason, I want the simplest, best, and most reliable components.
Recently I worked on a friend's IH truck with hydraulic brakes, two wheel cylinders per wheel, not much fun. The more I deal with hydraulic brakes the more I think air is the best answer for a truck.
There are 3 major air disc brake manufactures right now:
Bendix-Dana-Spicer-Eaton-Roadranger
http://www.roadranger.com/Roadranger/productssolutions/brakes/airdiscbrakes/index.htm Haldex
http://www.hbsna.com/en/Products/Air_Disc/ ArvinMeritor
http://www.meritorhvs.com/Product_CVS.aspx?product_id=40&top_nav_str=hvs##SP138