I have absolutely no business commenting on this thread but having been a marine engineer all my life and worked with and around many vendors, would certainly question your's as you did. I don't give a crooked furrow if he is an "expert" or not. You took your work to him and at least deserve some consideration and explanation for the "additional" work. Marking up or refusing to use your parts after doing the initial job would rile me too. I went through about the same thing with 4 "experts" at a rebuild shop in Orlando and all but the inexperienced one who did most of the work tried to blame their mistakes on me. Fortunately for me I was able to defuse each of their excuses and in the end did get my engine rebuilt although no one would exactly say or give me a complete parts list of what was done during the final "warranty" rebuild. I did manage to take some original parts away with me and supply them with some NOS parts that I located so I do find some comfort in thinking that they were installed.
Unfortunately for me, the rear seal started leaking shortly thereafter and I decided to have "some fun" and do it myself. Although I don't mind turning some bolts, pulling the engine, and doing the job it still riles me that after spending so much money with the "experts" I still have to do this myself. Part and parcel with that is perhaps why the engine still sits two bolts short of being pulled again in my garage. "One of these days" as Neil Young sings....
I feel your pain.
Don