Long story, I apologize ahead of time, but I need advice.
So, I pulled my running-well 350 out of my truck last week, tore it down, and brought the block to a machine shop here in Manhattan, KS. Basic idea was to build a budget performer, felt like it was doing less than 200 hp before, so I'm working at getting 350-400 horse out of it. Bottom end looked great, so I figure we'll get it hot-tanked, magnafluxed, and reuse the old pistons, crank, and rods.
I get the block to the shop, next day they call and tell me the block's cracked around one of the water block-off bolts. I don't know if I did it, they did it, or if it was already done when I got the truck, as the block was painted.
Now, I'm looking to buy a block, get it machined, and start from the ground up.
Mind you, I'm working with a very limited budget.
So, the owner of the shop is trying to talk me into buying a 383 kit from him, +gaskets, +bearings, +camshaft, +machine work on the block, +balancing of the pistons/rods/crank, +block.
I don't think this is a bad idea, except when he starts telling me how tired he is of looking up parts for everyone all day, "not for YOU, just everyone." I tell him I found a 383 kit that INCLUDES gaskets, bearings, cam and lifters, and with an extra charge, rotating assy. balanced for less than what he wants for the kit he sells, with the same brand parts in it.
He tells me that he'll charge me 20% more labor if I bring in my own parts, and that it's like bringing in my own hamburger to McDonalds and telling them to cook it.
I want to know if this is a normal attitude for a machine shop owner to have, or if I should just look for a block somewhere else, and use a different machine shop? Basically, I'm feeling a little like this guy's trying to take advantage of the fact I would like an engine back in my truck before May, and he doesn't think I know anything about this stuff.
If I left out any important info, let me know, otherwise suggestions are appreciated.
Tony