Okay 383 = good. But tell him you want to use Vortec heads, with the spring and screw in stud upgrade, Scoggins Dickey sells the heads, but if he is a machine shop worth a dang they will know what you are after and can probably do the work on the heads You should also have a say in the cam. Tell them you want an Isky 270 cam with a 108 LSA. You will also want roller rockers, Comp Cam magnums work well.. I hate their cams. Also tell your machinest you are after about 9.8 to 10:1 compression and premium pump gas. This will tell him what pistons to use. Hopefully flatops. And Felpro gaskets thruout.

You will also want an Edlbrock RPM manifold specific for Vortecs, and 750 Holley 3310. If you are running a TH350 tranny, you will want a 2800 stall convertor.


I have built two of these Identical setups and they put smiles on my face... lots of torque, rumptey idle, good for power brakes-vacuum issues, and good low end power. This is a low budget hi performance build. Last car I built I just sold. It had serious traction problems. barley hit the gas and it was all over the place. Tires and traction bars would have helped.

Good luck and keep us informed.