John, you made me laugh! Performance Machine is the shop, and it's Billy that was the crabby one! Now don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the shop, still just looking for advice and understanding of why/how a shop could/would work that way.
I'm still not sure what the cracked area is called, but picture the bottom sides of the block, near the center. One side had an allen head bolt, other side was a 5/8" bolt. The crack surrounds the 5/8" bolt housing.
On another note, I don't try to "bother" the professionals, but like hoggyrubber said, the markup seems hokey. $670 for a bottom end kit w/o gaskets, cam, lifters, or bearings (he knocked $20 off when I mentioned I could get the same parts he was getting me plus the others I just listed for $660). I also agree about there should be a labor rate posted (don't know about other shops, but none in his) and not this "let's look at what we're doing, I just estimate" and then not give me a price for 3 days until after he gets crabby with me. I also thought he would be happy either way, my parts or his- if I bought the parts, and they needed work, HE would get the work, and more money in the process.
I guess I don't agree with the way it used to be- If you were the resident expert in your field, you could be a jerk, almost were expected to be one. Today, except in small town areas, it's too easy to find another expert without an attitude.
I guess I have my own attitude- I'm a Soldier, a healthcare provider, prior private contractor in residential construction, and grew up working on a farm. So, maybe I'm hardheaded, too.
I'm still doing parts research, still not sure if I'm going the way of the shortblock or my own bottom end, the wife just spent $600 of my budget, putting my completed project a little farther off.
Thanks for the replies, always open to advice/suggestions.
Tony