Originally Posted by kingisomer
How is a 235 cheaper? The design is virtually the same, with the main difference pressure oiled rods. The parts cost minimally less and the labor would be the same, as far as I can see.

I didn't say 235, I said "better" engine. A full pressure has bearings, which anyone can replace. A machinist needs to rebabbet or cut in bearings on the 216's and early 235's. Longevity also adds up when you need to redo a 216 more often just because of it's design. Also, finding and good post 54 235 or 261 in running condition is rather easy. Some are even already rebuilt, I see them listed all the time. I'm not knocking your plans but you did ask for opinions. I've got a fleet of AD trucks and you couldn't give me a 216 to use. Just my opinion. You also have to remember that your shop gave you an estimate. Rarely,if ever, does anyone come in anywhere close to an estimate. What happens if the head or block is cracked or the crank is junk? Then there's the extras like tune parts, clutch parts, etc. Now the price is getting close to a 400hp crate engine and all you have to show for it is a stock 216.
Good luck and I hope your engine is in good shape and lasts a very long time,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!