I agree with everything you said except I don't think you have to rebore with only .005 taper. As I said in a previous post, I have known professional mechanics that put rings in an engine with .030 taper and I would not do it but he knew what he had and drove accordingly. If you know you have something borderline or past and use it carefully, you can get by. Myself, I would rebore anything past .012, no matter how I used it.
There is something definitely wrong with this engine, but I don't know what it is.
I respect your belief that an engine should be rebored with .005 taper. It is probably correct, but there are other opinions. It is so easy on an internet forum to offend when that is not your intention at all. Please don't think I had that intention.
Last edited by Crabbyappleton; 12/17/2008 6:48 PM.