I learned how to clean honed cylinders the hard way, too. On a 2,500-mile trip from California to Tennessee with a fresh re-ring job, the engine got to the point it would use 3 quarts of oil to a tank of gas. When I tore the engine down again the rings were worn to less than half their original thickness. I had scrubbed the cylinder walls with clean white rags and lacquer thinner until they came out as clean as they went in, and that still was not sufficient.

Good luck!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!