I was running the Holley 390 on a clifford, fentons, HEI and a clifford 260 cam in my '54 235. The only thing that I didn't like was the cam.

As been said before, the 235 is not a true performance engine. The engine design does not lend itself to high RPM or over 200 HP. Thus, carb swapping doesn't make much difference because of the head design and airflow charateristics. (siamesed ports, shrouded valves, low CR, etc...)

If you like the vintage look, and like tuning strange fuel delivery problems, use a multi-carb setup. Else, use a Holley or Edel carb in the 390 to 500 CFM range on a clifford intake, and spend your time fixing something else on the truck.

BTW, the clifford cam is a good performance cam, but not for a heavy car with 3.55 gears. It doesn't really "come on" until about 2200 RPM. I'm going with a M4F this time and see what happens.

chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes