I didn't want to hijack Roads Scholar's thread but this is related to his.

I have no problems with my steering. It doesn't jump around, there's no slack it it so I'm probably just poking a hornet's nest here. Anyway, I decided to look inside and it's packed with thick reddish brown grease.

Jon G suggest a 50/50 mix of Corn Head grease and 90w mineral oil in order for it to reach all areas of the gear itself.

I'm not removing the gear or rebuilding it. There's really no way to get all the thick grease out without disassembly.

What I was wondering is if it would make sense to add 90w mineral oil to the box and hope that the action of steering operation would mix the grease and oil together inside.

Or, should I leave well enough alone and forget about it?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)