Yes, here in VA anything with air brakes needs a CDL. So, theoretically if you put air brakes on your minivan you need a CDL to drive it.

I am not concerned about that part of it. I would probably play dumb to start with, and if it ever caught up to me I would get my CDL if I did not already have it by then.

There were a number of big trucks built with no front brakes from the factory. I don't know how late that was allowed, but I am thinking in to the 60's or a little later.
I have a 25 Mack AC with no front brakes, and a 28 Chevy car, the first year for front brakes on a Chevy car.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-