I have been looking at some air operated disc brakes. Right now it looks like Haldex has the best ones, but I can't find much about them, and how people like them.

Here is a brochure on them http://www.hbsna.com/Documents/broc...0Air%20Disc%20Brakes%20L20440%203-05.pdf

I know air operated disc brakes were tried several years ago with out very good results. Seems they have better results this time around.

I am considering them for my 48 6400.
According to Haldex, they make them to fit under 17.5, 19.5, and 22.5 wheels. My current hydraulic disc brakes fit in 19.5 wheels, and the wheels I will run are 22.5, so they should fit my truck.

Still trying to find out if they already make caliper brackets for my axles, a 94 Chevy 3500HD front and 88 P30 rear. If not, then I think I can make my own.

Also trying to find out more on how they work. Looks like they have single acting brakes, as in loose air pressure and you have no brakes. I have seen some of the old disc brakes have spring brake cans, not sure if they are available for the new ones.


What do you think, good idea, or bad?
Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-