Originally Posted by JW51
But that "what if I break down" question....seems like a pretty real concern.

What if you stripped the ring and pinion?

What if you tore a brake line?

What if you snapped an axle

What if you broke your front u-bolts?

What if you broke the frame in half?

What would you do in any of those situations?

What I tell most people is, you either fix it or tow it. Doesn't matter if it's the fuel system and fuel control system, suspension, drivetrain, electrical, mechanical, etc.

Have a basic understanding of the system you installed and what you might need to fix it on the road. Maybe add a handheld pocket scanner to the tool bag so you can see what the computer is complaining about. Maybe throw a test light in there too.

I've spent my whole career visiting vehicles on the side of the road and having to make the decision to either fix it where it sits or call the hook. And I bet you 90% of my coworkers don't like having to admit defeat and have the thing towed in. But, due to a new system that we don't understand yet, or all the big tools are back at the shop, or whatever, sometimes we have to get that tow. I can guarantee, things will break! So, it's not a matter of "if" but "when!" How familiar are you with that TBI system you installed. What basic tools should you carry with you incase it does start to hiccup. What plan do you have if you can't fix it on the side of the road?

Excited people always ask me "What do you think of the new electric wizbang the company just bought???" In my head I always say, its just another piece of crap with a company logo on it I have to work on. But what comes out of my mouth is, it has 4 wheels, still uses fluids, still has wipers, but it just has a different propulsion system. Some thing new I'll have to learn about.

My latest build, the GMC 302, I hope will be a beautiful build with sequential injection and computer controlled fuel and spark. I hope I can hide most of the sensors and wire so someone looking at it won't see clutter. And, if it manages to die somewhere that I can't fix it, I'll get a ride to pick up my modern fuel injected truck, hook up my car hauler, pick it up and haul it home where I can pretend I am a mad scientist and hook all kinds of diagnostic computers and wires to it so I can get it to tell me what's wrong. And, if I'm within a 400 mile radius of home, I'll call a friend and have them watch it for me until I can pick it up. And if I'm not near a friend, I guess asome tow company will get a few of my hard earned dollars.

Since the days of Jerry looking at TBI's, systems and parts have gotten much more efficient and reliable. Almost to the point of trouble free! Knock on wood, my '96 Chevy TPI in my '51 Suburban has never given me a problem. Except for the usual Chevy leaks, etc., we've all grown to know and love.