Nice lookin old truck there Rick ... Congratulations! Looks very similar to my 2-ton. Same color green but with a red bed. I'll try to figure out how to post it here in this forum, but I will also be submiting it to the gallery soon as well, so if you don't see it here, you'll see it there.

I went looking for some new tires for my truck at T&W truck tire center here in OKC. They are one of the main truck tire supliers in this region for dealers, maintainance or service centers, as well as heavy equipment operators.

I was also looking for 8.25x20s and they told me no one is making them any more. The only tire they can get is the 9.00x 20 and it's an import tire. There is just not that much demand for 20 inch tires any more as all of the medium duty truck makers have gotten away from using them.

6 new 9.00x20s with flaps and tubes would run about $1200. A lot of $$$! Fortunately, luck was on my side. When they returned my call for pricing, the gentleman told me that that they just so happend to have a set of almost new takeoffs from an ex-school bus turned hunting rig. Seems some guy converted this bus to take on hunting trips, and he put a new set of Nutech 9.00x20 bias plys on it, but didn't like the ride. So he brought it back and had them taken off and a new set of radials mounted up. I got the whole set of six takeoffs with flaps and tubes for $800. Still a lot of $$$ but these tires are in excelent condition & still have the little rubber titties on them. They look a little big on the front, but they look good, don't rub the fenders, and they all match.

So that got me to thinking Rick. If you have trouble locating tires, try calling around to all the local school districts in your area and ask the folks that run the bus barns about what they do with their takeoffs. Around here I know for a fact that they change them out before their used up. Chances are, you might find yourself a decent set for cheap.

Rezman


Snapoff brand tools
..................................
1948 Chevy 6400
1949 Chevy 4400 (parts truck)