While I am waiting for the weather to warm up to allow cab work to continue I am contemplating engine/transmission mounting again (getting ahead of myself as usual).

I plan to obtain the SBC mount installation kit and locate the engine mounts as suggested to provide cab/firewall clearance for the distributor, etc.

I am still a little fuzzy about the original rear mount (engine/bell housing area) given that I plan to keep the original leaf spring front end. As I understand the original cross member provides frame stability for the rear spring mount. However, I bellieve everything I have seen/read indicates the mount needs to be cut or removed in favor of a transmission mount cross member (new) located further back on the frame.

My original plan was to remove the rivets to allow removal of the original rear cross member, position the engine and use that to determine the transmission cross member/mount location. I don't know if I would try to modify the original cross member to provide the transmissin mount or purchase one of the aftermaket alternatives. My concern is that by doing this I will influence the frame stiffness where the rear mounting point for the front springs.

I am sure I am not the first to go down this path and would appreciate feedback from others that have gone before me.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals