My cylinder block is being bored oversize (not sure if it will be 0.030, 0.040, or 0.060 over until it gets machined).
I have been researching cylinder head options assuming that I go with the 383 rotating assembly and wanting to keep the compression ratio around 9:1 so that I can run regular gasoline. If I used dished pistons (roughly 18cc) with a chamber volume of 64 cc I am in the ballpark. The two head options I am looking at are Vortec 350 heads or just using the original TBI (1991 193 casting) heads. I know the TBI heads are considered boat anchors by most in the Hi-Pro world but given that the goal is low end torque and not high rpm power the fact that original heads drop off over 4500 rpm may not be a big deal. Of course the other advantage is that I already have them, although they need to be cleaned up and checked for cracks I believe they are a viable option. I have seen options for Vortec #906 casting heads with prices all over the map. From what I have read the Vortec heads would flow much better at higher rpms and therefore provide more peak horsepower but I am not sure they would provide any higher or broader torque curve.
Either way I anticipate needing to buy a new intake manifold to match the head choice and provide for carburetor mounting.
Any insight regarding the head choice would be appreciated.
I am also looking into cam selection and would appreciate any insight members could provide.