The potential 2004 disappeared so I am back to trying to decide what I want and balancing that against what I can find. The good news is that given the body restoration etc. part of the project is going to take a while I can procrastinate on my drivetrain decision for a while.

One thing I have been thinking about is given that the truck is a 3600 and I am trying to stay true to the heavy-duty nature of it compared to the 3100 I wonder if I should be looking for 4L80E (if I go automatic) and possibly a 6.0 engine. I am sure it would be overkill from a pure performance perspective but the drivetrain from a 2500 HD 2WD with the 6.0 and 4L80E would "fit" the 3600.

I am fairly familiar with the general sensor/wiring requirements for the ECU controlled engines but appreciate the link to the wiring information. I really like the benefits of EFI but have enough background in carburetors to feel comfortable going that route for the simplicity (relatively speaking).


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals