Ton_tommy, thanks for your information, my 4.56 gears (original) would run about 10% lower rpms and if I find 4.10 gears it would run another 10% lower. What size tires are you running that provides the 32.5" diameter?
I have read some about converting the rear axle to something more current and the overall width being a problem but how much wider are they and what fender modifications are typically done to accommodate them?
I did a similar project a few years back to put a SBC400 in a 1992 Jeep Wrangler. I built the engine with a short water pump and had a home made shroud with electric fan that had good clearance at the front of the engine. Long story about the 400 selection but I understand the firewall clearance concerns for the distributor, etc. just wasn't sure about bell housing clearance as I have read that the firewall may need to be cut out for clearance.
Fixite7 - did you modify or replace the rear engine mount? My impression is the original rear mount needs to be removed and a new rear mount installed in the proper location for the transmission mount.