Originally Posted by asilverblazer
I think you could go a bit bigger trailer than Johns suggestion above, especially with the newer Ford.

https://i.redd.it/f4ake4m7hyo71.jpg

No way would I tow that trailer, with three horses in it, with a half ton. Especially an older/antique one. Just because you *can* doesn't mean you *should.*

Let's do the math:

The trailer itself weighs at least 1500 to 2,000 lbs. Three horses (assume Quarter Horses, yes?) at (on average for a decent quarter) 1,000 lbs each is another 3000 lbs. Throw in some tack, supplies and other miscellaneous and all told, you're up to about 5-6,000 lbs. Some of the new 1/2-tons are safe with that, but not an antique one without significant modifications. 1st time someone brake checks you on a wet hill and you are going to have a really bad day.

I'm not sure I would feel comfortable towing *anything* with a truck smaller than a 3/4-ton rating.


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)