Concur with Tiny. I used to haul horses professionally and I wouldn't touch that trailer with anything less than a modern 1.5-ton diesel dually (like a Ford F-450/550 or a Ram 4500/5500. An antique 1/2-ton would require so much upgrade and fabrication/modification as to make the project not realistic.

The trucks you are considering would be better suited for something like this: 2-horse straight load bumper pull.

A somewhat popular project is to take a '50's vintage Cab Over truck and either put the sheet metal on a more modern chassis (like I suggested above) or just upgrade the original one with a modern diesel, transmission and real axle suitable for what you are contemplating for your story. Something like this

Check out our Gallery Pages. We have a few like that in here, too, for ideas.

Thanks for stopping by!

A writer .... Cool!!! wink
John (retired PJ)


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)