Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
We need to remember this project is NOT REAL, it is part of the plot on a purely fictional novel. It’s not going to be built in real life. The author is trying to add some nostalgic interest. The cautions about safety are not really necessary. All the suggestions to buy a late model truck or doing diesel and chassis swaps is really a moot point. I finally looked at the trailer in his link. That is not a 3 horse trailer, it’s a rolling condominium. No stock original truck from the 50s should be pulling that trailer. Since the op didn’t tell us the plot I suppose the novel is set in present day and the old truck thing is a fantasy of the main character, maybe to honor a grandfather. Again, not real!

You are correct on everything you just said! The novel is set in modern day. To make the long story short, the idea behind the novel is that it's a coming of age story about a young teenage boy who overcomes severe depression & a suicide attempt. He uses horses as a way to do that. He begins training them for liberty shows. The idea for the classic truck in the 50's was a way to connect him to his grandfather. I'd also considered something in the 70's as a way to connect him to his father. I wanted something for them to restore/rebuild as a way to strengthen his relationship with his father. I won't go too in depth with the truck simply because I fully admit that I don't have the knowledge needed to do it justice, but I did want whatever I wrote to be technically correct. Seems like what I wanted in a truck and what I wanted in a horse trailer are two different things. So now I'm looking at two options.

1) Stick with the classic 50's truck that I originally wanted but change the trailer to a much smaller 2 horse trailer

2) Keep the much larger trailer but change my plans to a much more modern truck like a Silverado 3500 HD.

Thank you all again for your insights. It has been GREATLY appreciated!