Hello Everyone!

I am a writer and currently writing a book where one of the characters is going to get an old truck that they will be restoring/rebuilding. The truck will be used as an every day vehicle going to and from school. It will also occasionally be used on a working horse ranch. The truck needs to be able to haul a 3 horse trailer like this one. Instead of having a new truck, I want to have the character get an old truck. The two I am looking at is a 1953 Chevy 3100 or a 1967 Ford F100 Ranger. Now admittedly I don't know a LOT about cars so I'll be doing a LOT of research which is why I am coming to y'all. You know far more about this than I do. So I have a few questions.

1) Are either one of those two trucks better for pulling a 3-horse trailer? I am leaning towards the 53 but I don't know if it could handle the weight.

2) Assuming I could find a truck that was in reasonable condition (could be driven as is but needs some work) what would be a decent timeline and price range for a restoration? This is a work of fiction so it doesn't have to be 100% accurate. I just need a window to work with.

3) What are some upgrades that I would want to do for safety or convenience.

I know this may not be the type of question you normally get but any help that you could give would be greatly appreciated!