As an update to this, the work is still ongoing and there have been five different versions so far. I believe there will be one and possibly two more. I'm still awaiting some parts and the final version depends on those. I've been testing the best version of the five for a while and I like it. It is working fine powering the gas gauge. At first I thought it was making the gauge needle jitter a bit, but it turned out that was me. I had caused the truck to shake pretty well when getting my head under the dash and I guess the gas was still sloshing around when I checked it.
In case anyone is curious, the rough prototypes look like the images below (front/back) and there is also an image showing the thumb screw plus the small screw which is used to adjust the output voltage.
More to follow in time...
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end