I've been waiting for Tiny's response, but as for the 7808 chip, you might want to check yours with a known good power source/known good chip. Here are 2 images of the 7805 chip (a fixed 5 volt brother to the 7808---same exact chip family, just a different voltage output rating). Running it on 12v with no resistance at all (aside from the wires connecting to the breadboard) it runs happily at 4.96v using the cheapest handheld lcd meter I've ever seen (got it free at Harbor Fright Tools). Hope this helps. Also, please keep in mind the runtz gizmo does have 2 capacitors and 1 diode. I'm sure whoever thought up that circuit had a plan in mind, but I never would have used just one diode with 2 capacitors. Seems fundamentally flawed to me.
Attachments
7805 fixed.JPG (22.43 KB, 101 downloads)
7805 output.JPG (34.86 KB, 101 downloads)


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end