If one is determined to run a B on one’s rig...there are options:
1). Buy from a rebuilder or parts store. I’m sure someone has had a positive experience with this approach. But for the reasons Jon and Jon enumerate, chances of success seem mighty low. And I don’t personally remember anyone posting here bragging about how well their “parts store rebuilt B” runs. Lots of horror stories.
2). Find a B that retains it’s original tag, source the proper kit, and rebuild at home. Much higher chance of success, but the only carbs I’ve come across with tags are NOS ones that are quite spendy. Like more $$$ than I’d pay for a complete, running 235. I suppose if you luck into a good deal or find a tagged candidate still on an engine....this is the best.
3). Rebuild the B you have, or find a cheap/free one and rebuild. There’s a good chance the core you’re working with is already mismatched, warped, or both. But this approach is much cheaper than option 2, with a slightly higher chance of success than option 1. It’s the devil you know vs the devil you don’t.
Overall, I like option 3. The B is simple to rebuild. And there are so darn many of them, that you can do it for very little money. It’s a great platform to learn on and build your confidence. You might even end up with a carb that runs kinda/sorta OK. And when you become dissatisfied enough, you will be more equipped to move onto option 4 and just buy a rebuildable YF.
Hello fellow Missourian. I've updated my latest "findings" on other replies to Jon and Panic. Short story - I've got a 216" intake manifold. How or why I'll never know. I rebuilt the carb that's on it now. Engine runs, revs, idles nicely but the carb has the typical (?) fuel leak around the throttle plate rod (?). My hope was that the rebuilt unit would solve that problem and the research I'd done seemed to indicate that Autoline had good quality rebuilds. Your thoughts?