Martin, you know me too well

No problem. The questions were to flush out a few things and it's working. You guys are on the scent. No ballast, no bypass, no spark. I also am wondering if the spring on the starter pinion/over running clutch is broken. It may be starting to fire but by now you would think it would fire enough times for him to hear combustion noise.....and tell us it's firing. He has an external resisted coil and no bypass, but that should not prevent starting unless he has already burnt out the points. Maybe he should install the bypass then get new points. This is a 12V conversion I assume.
PJDee: these are actually questions:
1. I assume you have a 12V battery.
2. You didn't answer, but I will assume coil is 12V.
3. I will assume "arrow on flywheel" is a pointer that is not part of the flywheel.
You need to do the timing as Martin says. Get a ballast resistor, a starter button with a side terminal and new points and condenser.
There is a stationary pointer in the "window". You line up the BB exactly on it at no 1. compression stroke, then adjust distributor so rotor is pointing to no. 1 tower. Check firing order vs distributor wires to plugs.