Hi thanks again, what I meant was that the starter can’t keep up with flywheel,
Maybe I’m explaining it wrong.
The truck was running, I took the radiator off and pulled the front main seal and
Replaced it and did a speedy sleeve, go to start and can’t get it to go.
12 volt. Foot starter. All wires are in the right places, got nothing when I used the starting fluid. I have moved the distributor since I couldn’t get it to go, but
I think it’s timed well, I am getting a good spark. Plug was not wet when I pulled it out to check. Again, I’m sorry if I’m not explaining it correctly. My buddy who is the by far the best mechanic I know, ran a shop for decades and had a 49 was said everything looked good. My guess is perhaps a weird short?
Thanks again for all your help!
OK understood, Let's discuss the red part. We don't take any of that info to heart. If we did, we would never find your problem. Don't say this and that are good, mechanic says good, getting good spark, timed well, wires are in the right places............because something is not good. Something is not right. The absolute worst thing you can do is state those things. Just tell us what is wrong and perform tasks and test as directed.
So now, lets us understand a few more unclear statements. Be patient with us, we WILL get you started. Some members may understand what you said, but I don't.
But I'm trying to roll on this for you and this is the way I have to roll. Getting the symptoms dead right before the tests and remedy.
1. "Can't get it to go" is just another way of saying it won't even fire?
2. So with the fluid sprayed into carb, motor did nothing at all except spin? Not one bang.
3. On top of that, starter can't keep up with flywheel? What EXACTLY does that mean? Does the small pinion on starter disengage flywheel even if you keep your foot down or what? Be advised that if motor is not starting, not firing, there is no "keeping up" with the flywheel. The starter is turning the flywheel. If motor did fire or start to run, then the flywheel would be turning on it's own and could outpace a messed up pinion "bendix".
4. Let us know when and how you yourself observed a spark jumping a spark plug gap. Spell out your exact method in detail.
5. Are you going to do the tasks as we present them or someone else? Do the plug test I posted.
6. Copy this list of questions into your next post and answer one at a time, in red, next to the question. You missed several last list. That method is mush easier for everyone.
7. Let us know if you are somewhat handy with mechanics in general.
8. I did see your discussion on timing. I did not see your follow up. You don't need a vacuum gauge because your motor won't even fire. I didn't get the feeling you got the BB in the window, on the pointer, on plug 1 compression stoke in that post. And since then you have also said "I got it close enough". This is not sounding so good. Do it again.
9. Do you have a ballast resistor?
10. Do you have a 12V starter?
11. Do you have a 12V coil with two wires on the pos terminal?
12. Is marked internally resisted or externally resisted?
13. Do you have a stock points distributor?
Make sure of your answers please.
All we have are words. We live off of words. We try to get exact meaning before blasting a bunch of guesses. You will improve as you understand our plight. just pretend we are not there to see, hear, smell, observe or test.......because we are not. Please let me know if I have misinterpreted something. I have done that before.
If you got no response to a properly administered spray of starter fluid, it ain't gas, it's spark or timing. Lack of spark, at the right time, is all the way from battery to plug gap. Gears and chains. Lotta stuff in between.