Cmon, John,
You opinions respected: why do you not recommend the Remflex 235/261 manifolds gasket?
Thanks, Tim
Tim, for the same reason I can't recommend Pertronix. Too many failures and the basic product is the same as it was on day one. I have friends who can't even say Pertronix without including a long and often creative string of profanity and from everything I've read, this gasket may possibly have a worse track record. Stepping away from the 235/261, for some vehicles the failure rate appears to almost be guaranteed. Subaru for one. I own a Subaru, by the way. I can't recommend this gasket for any vehicle.
I know there are people who consider these gaskets to be terrific, have had great luck with them, sing their praises and that's fine. I just don't like any product that works sometimes for some people in some cases.
I think people tend to forget when a gasket like this fails on a modern vehicle very unwanted things can happen. The list begins with: all of a sudden your vehicle will not pass the state vehicle inspection. Depending on where you live this can be irritating or worse...you may not be allowed to drive your vehicle away from the inspection station in that condition.
As I said earlier, I think Evan's idea was clever and he says it has worked for him for 15 years. A tube of that stuff is what...$8 or so? I'd say try that first.