"I'm Tanked"

Thanksgiving is closing in but so is the project. The problem I asked the forum about earlier (carb vs fuel pump) led me down the dingy road of assessing the fuel tank. THANK GOODNESS for this forum. I was getting fuel so I never suspected the tank, but fortunately for the wisdom of this group I did some digging and found rust, and sludge.

So... siphoned out the tank, out came the seat, disconnected the line, out came the tank, disconnected the petcock to reveal the source of the blocked flow, unplugged the petcock valve, spend 45 minutes in the local hardware store looking for the proper fittings, and now just waiting for the new tank to arrive.

In the meantime I received a glass bowl fuel filter to replace the contraption I'm holding in my hands in the photos ("bell-style fuel filter?") and a Carter YF Carb to replace the Rochester B that is clearly in need of new gaskets (at a minimum). When the tank is installed we *should* be able to travel more than 1/2 mile... unless there's another hidden mystery to solve. Which reminds me, after having the master cylinder replaced there is now - as predicted - a rear wheel cylinder leaking. (I better get that ordered today as well.)

One bright spot; my main helper was away, but my youngest son (age 15) was around. When I asked him if he would be willing to help me remove the fuel tank he literally (and I mean literally!) jumped out off the couch ready to help. That's what has made this project so great!
Attachments
20191115_223001584_iOS.jpg (298.87 KB, 174 downloads)
20191115_235418230_iOS.jpg (109.13 KB, 173 downloads)
20191116_235157372_iOS.jpg (101.39 KB, 173 downloads)
20191117_202834031_iOS.jpg (178.23 KB, 170 downloads)
20191117_202847033_iOS.jpg (236.79 KB, 171 downloads)