This is somewhat re-cap / somewhat live. I've benefited from this forum and hope I can contribute a useful insight from the process.
Finally getting around to my Dad's truck after 10 years in barn storage. Like most new project I have no idea what I'm getting into. All I know is it ran when he drove it here in '09. From what locals have said its in decent condition. A bit of rust in the floor and cab corners but I can probably get by without new metal. (shall see about that). Trying to stay as OG as possible; though looking for a few cab improvements. Top priorities for me are repairing the brake lines, converting to 12 volt (I want a daily driver and live in MN), improving the look of the cab, and restoring the bed liner.
Dad has a garden outside of city limits and when he took my kids there he let them "drive" the truck. The youngest of those drivers is a Senior in High School and I'm thinking it would be great to surprise Dad with one of the grandkids taking him for a drive. Also hope to spend some time my my two youngest boys (age 17, and 15) and learn together as we go along.