Yes, 500 gallon and 500 gpm. I measured the tank just for fun and it calculates out to 625 gallons, sort of struck me as odd. I guess the fire service was/is stuck on certain sizes of tanks. You have a Waterous pump too? They were made in St Paul, still are, about 25 miles away from me.
Funny about the cabinet, the chassis was lengthened 9 inches to accommodate it!
The deck gun is an addition, a friend of mine got it for me, it is from the Minneapolis FD, siting on a box I built. We use it for squirting at gatherings, the public really likes water displays. We have trouble with the tree huggers, they think we are wasting water even though we are squirting into the same pond/river we are pumping out of, go figure. The nozzle on it is only 150 gpm max and I turn it down because the public can't tell the difference between 100 gpm and 1000. With a smooth bore nozzle I suppose it might take 1500 gpm. Minneapolis has lots of water, several other guys around here have them.
My truck came from a small rural town too, in western ND. It was also their first truck and was in service to at least 2006, that is when the pump was last certified. Quite similar to your truck's history. I tried but could not get much out of the FD there, no one wanted to talk about it. I guess they were glad to get rid of it. Not many miles either, I added over 10% driving it home.
I see you also have a NAPCO truck, I have always lusted over them. Somewhere I have a factory sales kit (for 1957 I think), when they first were offered by Chevrolet as a dealer option. It has original 8x10 photos of a 3/4T Suburban demo and lots of "this is the best thing since sliced bread!!". I got it from a customer when I owned a small garage! NAPCO is located about 10 miles away from me in Hopkins, Mn, the original building is going to be torn down this summer to make way for a light rail commuter train. My 62 is one of the first factory 4x4s that Chev offered, people ask a lot if it is a NAPCO, its the reason the guy gave me the sales kit.
The slower speeds are the reason for the amber light on the back of my truck. Driving it home across ND in a 70 zone, with traffic moving at 80, it was plenty scary holding a steady 50 and watching them pass without slowing. That is really the only reason I want to speed up the truck, events around here tend to be 100 freeway miles away.
I will likely just leave it the way it is unless I happen across an easy solution, there are enough other projects around that I don't need to add a tough one.
Last edited by sweepleader; 04/08/2019 12:00 PM.