I met with an electrician last night. Our sons played on the same sports travel team, but I had lost contact with him until recently.
He added to my education about electrical wiring and code. Coolwhip has also given good advice when we talked on the phone.
1. If I install a 200A service box, then I will need to have another meter installed. That means a $15 per month meter charge. Every month. Forever. $180/year just for the meter.
2. He said I can't put three 220V outlets all on the same 60A circuit because the inspector would fail it. Makes sense. Inspector will see this as unsafe because it has the potential for three 220V devices to draw power all at the same time, thus overloading the circuit. He likes Mike B's idea of a single 220V outlet mounted between the garage doors and use a 25' extension cord when needed. This would be a dedicated conduit for a 60A circuit for the welder.
3. He told me to run a dedicated conduit for the auto lift. The lift draws 14.5 A, so it would be a 220V with a 20A breaker.
4. The lights will be LED and on a single circuit with a wall switch so I can turn on different banks of lights depending on my needs.
5. The 110V wall outlets can be on a 20A circuit. I'll probably divide each outlet (either a duplex or double duplex) into 2 separate circuits.
6. The window A/C unit will have a separate conduit for 220V and a 20A circuit.
7. A future air compressor will have a dedicated conduit running to the back right corner. They are typically 220V and 15A. So I'd need a 20A circuit breaker.
So break it to me gently. With all that stuff, do I really need 200A service and to spend (GULP!!) $180 a year for an extra meter?