Jay,
I have a few questions;
Where is the garage incoming electrical feed coming from, your house or a new electric meter?
What size panel did you list on the permit?
Did you have someone do a load calculation to make sure everything is sized correctly?
You talk about 240v outlets like one size fits all, that is not the case. A 240v stick welder will need a 50amp circuit while a 240v MIG welder needs a 20amp circuit. Your 5hp compressor (just guessing size) will need 30amp wire fused at 70amp. So each need is really different. If I were you I'd upsize the EMT home runs to 1" and pull the 240v circuits into the pipe after you get the equipment so you get it right. Wires/circuits can be added later as long as the conduit is sized for it.
If you hired me to wire you garage, I'd be talking you into a 240v 50 and a 240v 20 between the doors and that's it, nothing else needed. Then I'd make up a 25' extension cords for each outlet/welder These cords would allow you to work anywhere in the shop and these outlets would be in a great central location that will never be blocked by anything. All the rest of you proposed locations are a waste of your money and I'd bet in the long run are never used. My shop is bigger than yours and I only have the welders setup in one area and I bring the work to the welder, not the other way around as I like to keep the sparks away from my storage shelves.
Mike B.
