Jay, lots of good info here but I will add one comment.
When I wired my shop I put a drop every 6 foot. At the time I figured one receptacle would be enough in each box as I have a drop every 6 foot......wrong. Especially when I'm doing wood work and need more that 2 places to plug in a cord.
Luckily I used the big box so I went back later and added another receptacle to each box so I have 4 places to plug a cord into.
220--I have two but wish I had put a 220 receptacle at each garage door!
Alvin,
I agree. All of my 110V outlets will be 4 gang. (Is that the correct term for 4 outlets together in one box?). I’ll probably have 10 to 12 of them plus a few outside too.
I’ll have a 220 outlet in each corner of the shop. Plus another 220 feeding the lift. Plus three more 220 outlets on the outside of the building, one left, one rear (for the compressor) and one inside the lean-to.
I might even have a drop cord outlet hanging down in the center of the shop.