Hi All
Thanks for the replies so far. As far as the grinding, I am well aware that my ring gear is bad. I took a look with the starter pulled and I have many rounded teeth - I am hoping to get by this driving season and then the winter project will be to replace the flywheel and maybe the clutch, since tranny has to be pulled to get to everything.
When it starts it does run fine and idles at a stop light OK - the single time it died it was idling over 7-10 minutes waiting for my daughter to come out for the ride she asked for - Has not repeated yet, but I have only driven her twice since the stall
As far as ballast resistor, I will take a look and replace if I find it. I am assuming at this point coil is 12V as well when I buy a replacement
thanks to all who have (and might still) respond
Last edited by Joe Finkelstine; 05/06/2016 6:20 PM.