Hi All
I have a 55 first series 1/2 ton C3100, 235 inline that is basically stock. I have had a few people suggest I consider changing my ignition coil as I have symptom of a bad coil ( stalls after prolonged idle, cools, then starts again- not fuel related) - I bought this truck early this year and have only taken it out a few times as the spring is unusually chilly here in Michigan. When I have started it it starts fine and has run well (except for the starter grinding a bit) The truck has been converted to 12V and I was thinking of replacing not only the coil, but the plugs, wires, coil, points, condenser, ballast resistor and possibly even the distributor cap. I am wondering though that since my truck was originally 6V, and now converted, is it safe to assume that the coil and ign is probably 12V? - if not, how would I test the ign components for 12V compatibility? and where in general is the ballast resistor on this vehicle? - I have barley had it out enough in the daylight to study the ign system and would like to verify a few things before I swap everything out so I know I have a system with parts in the condition I set, rather than guessing how old the plugs, wires, etc. are (although they look fairly new)
Thanks to all who respond
Joe