Hi All,
It was a very good day today.
I took off work and decided to go straight to the sheriffs office before going back to the DMV. Realize this little town has only two young girls that work there. I suspected that they weren't sure what they were talking about. Especially when I asked them they looked at each other with that "Dear in the headlights" look.
The paperwork they gave me didn't seem to fit my situation and everything kept going back to the VIN number.
Upon arriving at the sheriffs office, I explained my situation to the lady at the window. She directed me to the sheriff that is in charge of VIN inspections. Heres what he told me.
These girls don't know what they are talking about.
Apparently, it is a fairly simple process, but with a lot of things to do.
All I have to do is schedule a VIN inspection with him first.
It's only $20.00 but he is there to verify that there isn't a VIN.
He gave me a form (A declaration/explanation of why there is no title) and said that I need to fill it out explaining the situation. He said this is very common and won't be an issue.
He will then give me a report that will go along with my declaration and two pictures of the truck to take back to the DMV.
I also have to send in an appraisal however, he said I don't need a professional appraiser. I can just go to a dealership an get a simple appraisal on their letterhead. It just has to appraise at at least $200.00 because I still have to get a surity bond for at least $400.00
I called my dealer and emailed them a picture and they said that they would consider it scrap salvage of $200.00 and would be glad to do me an appraisal for me free. Woo Hoo
This is to be sent off to Denver with a whole $3.50 fee to get a VIN plate made.
Once it arrives, the sheriff schedules an appointment for the Highway department to come affix it to my truck $40.00
Not sure what the surety bond will cost. But doesn't sound like too much.

Plus, I found a passenger door today for $49.00. It's complete with all of the wood in good shape, handles, knobs, and even the glass. Woo Hoo!!! Just have to find a drivers door now.
Thanks for everyone that directed me in different directions. It's easy to get angry when several government officials give you different answers. I went to DMV and told them what the sheriff said. They called the main office and verified that the procedure is correct.
They did say that I would have a rebuild title for three years and that it would change to a real title if no one comes in with a title to claim it within three years. Probably how long it will take me to get-r-done.