Here's a real bureaucratic travesty.
Some of you have heard about my truck from my wifes farm.
My father in law bought the farm and the truck came with it. It was never taken off the farm on to the roads. It was used to haul hay and water around the farm. In 1956, he got a new truck and drove this one up on the hill and turned the key off. It's been sitting there ever since.
My father in law passed years ago. My brother in law has gone through all papers (which there are few of) to see if there is any record of the truck or a title.
No Luck!
Since there were no VIN numbers on vehicles in these early vehicles, the Colorado DMV says that I have several procedures to go through to get a title.
(1) I have to get an licensed appraiser to give a value on the vehicle.
I went to one this afternoon to feel him out before getting an appraisal. He really played it up to say it was a valuable collectors vehicle and he would have to do a lot of research before the appraisal to get a accurate value.
Him pulling up a couple of rust buckets on Ebay that were $8,000 , I could see where this was going.
Of course right now, it's a paper weight.
(2) once I get the appraisal, the rule is: I have to go to a bonding agent and post a surety bond for twice the appraised value. If it's $8,000.00 then I have to post a bond for $16,000.00 ***NON-REFUNDABLE***
WHAT?????!!!!!!! IT'S A PAPER WEIGHT!
(3) Step Three: Back to the DMV to fill out a bunch of more paper work, pictures of the vehicle, the appraisal, a certified letter from my father in-law. (Which is dead) Stating that he gave the vehicle to me as a gift. All of this has to be sent to Denver office to be reviewed for a tentative approval.
WAIT! I PUT UP A $16,000.00 NON=REFUNDABLE BOND AND I MIGHT NOT BE APPROVED?
(4) If approved, then I have to fill out another form or two and take everything to the County Sheriffs office for him to create a hand stamped VIN with an invented VIN number.
(5) step five: Back to the DMV. They have to do a title search on the number that the Sheriff created to be sure that there is no one that owns that VIN.
WHAT???? THEY CREATED THE NUMBER.
(6) Step Six: Back to the sheriff if everything checks out OK with the VIN. The sheriff then contacts the Highway patrol, mails all the stuff out to them, along with the hand stamped VIN plate.
(7) Step seven: State patrol will either mail me a letter or call me setting up an appointment date and time that an officer will be at my residence to physically affix the VIN tag.
This is such garbage. And because of government bureaucracy, has discouraged me so much, it may stop me from proceeding.
Any suggestions?
Last edited by Dinodave; 03/04/2016 4:45 AM.