Originally Posted by Denny Graham
Most of those senders are simply a coil of resistance wire with
a wiper contact, a simple rheostat. They aren't to sturdy and
can be easily damaged. If that's visible or accessible double
check to make sure the coil doesn't have a break in it. That's
a very common problem with the rheostat's for the dash lights.
dg

Good point Denny,as I say,the sender works perfectly outside the tank,i'm beginning to suspect the float itself,it's a closed cell foam and seems to be 'heavy'??
I'm wondering if this is just another ethanol based problem,if you squeeze the float it oozes fuel,gone porous perhaps?
The place where I buy my unleaded use a 5% mix,so,if in fact this is the case,the damage has already been done.
I threw out my original unit with the white plastic type float,I could have retro fitted it to the one I have just now to eliminate that possibility.
Hindsight eh?


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.