Absolutely, that makes sense now, I think you've nailed down
your problem. The float should not soak up any fuel what so ever.
Time to start the search for a non-porous float.
That should never have happened, E-10 is almost universal here
in the states and I would think that everyone would be having
problems with the reproduction senders over here.
Which vendor did you buy the gauge/sender package from? I
would definitively contact them for a replacement float or
complete unit if they can't replace the float.
If that proves to be out of the question then you'll have to
cut a new foam float. I would seal it with a good epoxy meant
for use around fuel.
Caswell makes a fuel proof epoxy sealer but it is outrageously
expensive for a small job, like $75 US.
And POR-15 is a bit more in line at about $14.
http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Sealer_p_64.html

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL