Reading back through this thread I realized the importance of defining what your expectations are and how you plan on using your Big Bolt.
I absolutely agree that well maintained originals rims, tube tires and drum brakes are wholly adequate for the what the truck was intended to do. That was, haul stuff over rough roads at 45 mph. For in town use with occasional short highway runs, they will be fine.
I am rebuilding my 1.5 ton school bus into a long range traveler and need to be able to maintain 65 or so for extended periods. That's why I went with the Dana 80HD axle and it's gearing as well as the 19.5" '98 Chevy rims which will take new gen, readily available tubeless tires.
BTW...the engine is now a Cummins 4BT turbo diesel that runs best at only about 1700 to 1800 rpm. Between the lower rpm's and granny original gears, I had to make quite a few changes including an Allison six-speed double OD tranny.
All I'm saying here is...define what you want it to do, then build accordingly. Whether it is to be 100% original, a rat rod, a workhorse or a long haul rambler.